Got a PS5 that’s freezing or crashing? Can’t figure out why? We’ve got you covered. This guide looks at all kinds of possible causes, from hardware issues to settings misconfigurations. Plus, it applies to all versions of the PS5 (Standard, Digital Edition and Pro).
Take a look at each heading and you’ll find actionable steps to help identify what’s causing your issue. Then, you’ll be able to get your PlayStation 5 running again in no time. So let’s get started!
Causes of PS5 Freezing/Crashing
Having trouble with your PS5? You’re not the only one! Many users are facing this problem. It could be from various factors. In this article, we will explore the most common causes of a PS5 freezing or crashing. Plus, we’ll tell you the best way to fix it. Let’s get started!
Insufficient RAM could be the cause of PS5 freezing or crashing. RAM is a computer’s primary storage. Programs use RAM for temporary files and variables. Without enough RAM, the processor won’t work properly. This causes strange behavior and crashes.
To run PS5 at peak performance, you need 8GB RAM minimum. If you have less, freezing and crashing may occur. To fix this, add more RAM to 8GB or more. You can also try reducing running apps as too much can cause overloads. If this doesn’t help, look into other possible causes like hardware failure or a corrupted file system.
Overheating can make your PS5 freeze or crash. If it’s hot, the fans may not be spinning correctly. Keep the console in an open, well-ventilated area for proper air circulation. Make sure there’s no furniture blocking the airflow. Clean the fan and keep it dust-free. Don’t put anything on top of the console. Instead, use a shelf for decorations and other gear. This will help with heat dissipation and prevent overheating.
Poor Internet Connection
A weak connection can cause your PS5 to freeze or crash. Digital entertainment devices need a solid connection for streaming content. If your console cannot load games and software, it disrupts data transfer and affects performance.
To stop crashing/freezing from a bad connection, try a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi. Additionally, use speedtest.net to check your speeds and monitor your provider. If you keep having slow speeds or interruptions, switch to a new provider.
Corrupted System Files
Corrupt system files can cause your PlayStation 5 to freeze or crash. They are core programs and settings that support the OS and let games run. Corrupt ones cannot be executed, leaving part of your PS5 unresponsive or causing it to crash.
To check if this is the problem, observe for any error messages when playing or launching an app. If you see one related to corrupt files, try doing an SFC scan.
Also, make sure your power source has enough wattage. This can help prevent data corruption and detect issues before they become major problems.
The PS5 freezing and crashing can be caused by a variety of things. But, don’t worry! There are steps you can take to try and find the issue.
We’ll go over all the troubleshooting steps to help you fix it. We’ll also discuss the possible causes and how you can prevent it from happening again:
- Check the power cable and power outlet.
- Check for software updates.
- Check for overheating.
- Check for corrupted data.
- Check the hard drive.
- Check the HDMI cable.
Power Cycle the Console
Power cycle your PlayStation 5 console if you’re facing any issue with it! Simply turn it off, unplug all cables, and leave it in this state for 10 seconds. Afterwards, plug all cables back and switch it on. This may help if you’re experiencing freezing, crashing, audio, or performance issues.
Don’t press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds, as it can cause data loss and harm the system. If the power cycle process doesn’t work, contact PlayStation support for advice.
Check the Internet Connection
A weak or faulty internet connection is a common cause of freezing and crashing on the PlayStation 5. If this is the problem, these steps may help:
- Check signal strength: Ensure your router or modem is positioned well, with good reception near the console. Try moving any obstacles like walls or furniture.
- Change radio frequencies: Some routers can use a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz ‘N’ signal. Changing to the 5 GHz frequency can improve reception and reduce interference.
- Update router firmware (if available): Manufacturer websites often release updates to patch flaws and improve performance on devices like routers. Check for any updates for your device, and install if available.
Check the Temperature
When it comes to fixing PlayStation 5 freezing or crashes, temperature checking is often the best way. If your console is too hot, components may be overheating, causing issues.
To keep your PS5 cool, put it in a nice environment. Make sure there’s plenty of air circulation and it’s away from light and enclosed areas.
Also, watch for obstructions which block internal fans. Fans need to spin to cool down the hardware, so don’t restrict them. Where you place your console matters too. Put it away from metal items as they can cause heat retention.
Update the System Software
Updating your PlayStation 5 system software is a must if you are having performance or freezing/crashing problems. Doing this ensures the latest features, improvements and fixes from Sony are in place.
- Go to the home screen and press “Settings“.
- Choose “System Software” from the list.
- Select “Update System Software“.
- Hit “Download Now” to start the download and install.
Once the updates and features have been installed, restart your console to make sure all changes have been implemented. This should help with the freezing/crashing issues.
Reset the Console
If the PS5 console keeps crashing or freezing, it’s recommended to reset the system. Here’s how:
- Press and hold the power button until it turns off. Then, turn it back on. This will restart the system, but won’t affect saved data or settings.
- If that doesn’t help, press the power button again. This will force a hard reset, but data and settings won’t be lost.
- Lastly, restart in safe mode. Press and hold the power button until it starts beeping after the initial startup chime. Then select “Restart into Safe Mode“. This should fix the issue without affecting personal data or settings that are enabled by default.
Reinstall the Games
Reinstalling your games can often fix system freezing or crashing on PlayStation 5. Bad software or game installation is usually the cause. To reinstall, these steps will help:
- Press the PlayStation button, scroll to ‘Settings’, then choose ‘System’.
- Select ‘Storage’.
- If you’re using an external hard drive, choose ‘Extended Storage’.
- Go to ‘Applications’. Select the game that’s crashing or freezing and press ‘Options’.
- Choose ‘Delete from Console’ to remove the game completely.
- Reinstall it from your Games Library, Sony Store or disc (if applicable).
- If the issue continues, contact PlayStation Support for help. They may offer additional troubleshooting steps or warranty replacements.
The specific cause of PS5 crashing and freezing is unknown. Here are some solutions that may help:
- Update Software. Download and install all available update patches for your console.
- Check Temperature. Make sure the console isn’t exposed to high heat or direct sunlight. This could lead to overheating and crashing/freezing.
- Power Management. Adjust settings to save energy. This includes automatic shutdown after inactivity, which helps prevent long-term running temperature instability.
- Reset Console. If all else fails, do a factory reset. Back up important files first.
- Contact PSN Support. If none of these solutions work, contact PSN support. They may be able to help with your specific case.
Remember, consoles need more maintenance than other electronics. Ensure your console is updated, managed, and secured to keep it healthy and functioning optimally. Taking these steps may reduce/eliminate freezing/crashing issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What causes the PS5 to freeze/crash?
A1: The PS5 can freeze/crash due to a variety of reasons, including software errors, hardware malfunctions, and incompatibility with certain games and applications.
Q2: How can I fix my PS5 if it keeps freezing/crashing?
A2: To fix your PS5 if it keeps freezing/crashing, first try restarting the console, then try performing a power cycle and cleaning the console’s vents. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Sony for further assistance.
Q3: Is there a way to prevent my PS5 from freezing/crashing?
A3: To prevent your PS5 from freezing/crashing, make sure to keep your console updated with the latest software updates, and regularly check for compatibility issues with certain games and applications. Additionally, make sure to keep your console clean and free from dust buildup or other debris.